22 Top Wedding Photography Tips
Here we’ve compiled a quick run-down of some things you might not have thought about before your big day!
If you haven’t already you can read our guide on how to find the perfect wedding photographer for you.
#1 Before the Day
1. Does your venue allow photography? Are there any limitations? Think about the use of flash, position of the photographer etc. Some venues may not allow flash photography, particularly if you’re hosting your ceremony in a historic building. It’s a great question to ask when you go venue hunting. If photography is important to you, make sure you’ll be able to do it!
2. Want to go to the local park after the ceremony to take pictures? You might need a licence for that! Some City Councils ask for a fee to use the park for wedding pictures, so investigate this before you go ahead and organise park pictures. Find out more about Glasgow’s fees here.
3. It can be a good idea to send your photographer any pictures you come across that you like so they can get a feel for your style. They might not be able to recreate your pinterest Hawaii beach wedding board in Glasgow, but it’ll give them an idea of the style of photos you like and the look you’re going for on your wedding day. It also lets us know if you’re up for fun poses or prefer classy and chic, which will help the photography process go a lot smoother. You can see our pinterest boards at: www.pinterest.com/fotomakiphoto. We’d love to start a joint board with you to collect ideas!
4. Build a wedding day timeline; this may sound neurotic but there’s a lot of stuff to fit into one day, and the photography may take up more time than you think. You’ll need to schedule time after the ceremony for your formal family portraits, wedding party portraits and bride and groom portraits too. Check out our article about family formals and the shot list here.
5. Check the sunset time! This is especially important with winter weddings. If you have a 2pm ceremony there may only be 30 minutes of natural light available for outdoor photographs. Plan accordingly! On the other side of the scale, knowing when the sun goes down and scheduling your portraits about 1 hour before sunset can lead to beautiful golden hour photography.
We give our top tips on what to do with your wedding photos, from prints and canvases to albums and custom cards. Make those memories last by doing it right!
Depending on what was included in your wedding photography package, you may only have digital files of your big day. What will you do with them? You can always go down the traditional route and slot your wedding photos into a nice photo frame or album. But there are also some really interesting options out there today. Here are a few ideas to help you enjoy your wedding day again and again – long after your wedding day is over.
It’s becoming more popular for clients to purchase only digital files, instead of photo products, as people think about saving money by making their own albums and prints. However, most of the people who walk away with digital files will never do anything with them – they discover that they just don’t have the time or expertise.
Our advice to all couples heading down the aisle soon: please don’t let your wedding day rot on a hard drive somewhere! These moments and memories should take pride of place in your home. Plus, you’ll really wish you had them when it comes to showing friends, children and grandchildren in the future.
Do something with at least some key shots – get them printed at Boots on their instant photo machines (if you really want to save money) or order some from your photographer and let them do all the hard work for you. The quality of photos through your photographer’s professional print lab is totally worth the extra pennies you might save by choosing a chemist or supermarket option.
Hang your favourite images on the wall; they’ll fill your heart every time you look at them. I have a wall of memories myself, and every time I open my front door they make me smile and think about how great a time I had during those amazing moments.
We love to supply our couples with a lasting memory of their day; this is why albums are included in 3 of our 4 wedding packages. Allow us to beautifully capture and design your love story from beginning to end in our luxury Bellissimo Perfetto album.
This is our luxury wedding album and comes included with our wedding packages Deluxe & Creme de la Creme. You can also upgrade to this album from any of our other packages. Ask us about this option at your consultation.
Super styled, super-sized; take your wedding album to new heights with the Bellissimo Perfetto. Seamless hardback pages ensure minimal image loss across the centre. There is an unbelievably massive choice of cover options, including genuine leather in 20 colours. The Perfetto has hardback pages and is photographically printed for quality and longevity. This album is awesome. When you see our samples you will appreciate why the Perfetto is the industry’s finest wedding album.
Of all of the many details involved in planning a wedding, choosing a photographer is one of the most important. The day you’ve waited for will be over before you know it, and with the right photographer, you’ll have beautiful memories to enjoy forever. The perfect photographs will transport you back to each special moment of your wedding day, so you can relive your happiness again and again. Selecting the right photographer can be overwhelming, though, so how can you choose?
Take a second to think about why you want a photographer at your wedding. Before you look for a photographer, you have to know what it is you’re looking for. Do you just want a few pictures of the day as a record of the event? Or do you want every carefully planned detail and heartfelt emotion to be captured and presented in a beautiful custom designed heirloom album that you can pass down through your family? Or are you looking for something in between?
Know what you want.
Think back to weddings you have been to recently. What about the photography did you like or dislike? Did you hate the time consuming group pictures? Did you love that you hardly noticed the photographer all day? Did you like your friend’s custom designed wedding album? Now consider what you want from your wedding photography. Do you want a low stress, no fuss day? Or do you want a posed picture with every person there? Take a minute to think of some keywords that express how you want your wedding photos to feel. On one end of the spectrum you might have words like striking, posed, dramatic, or editorial. On the other end: candid, natural, relaxed, stress-free. Taking a moment to think about these things will give you a clear picture (nice pun) of what it is you want.
We love to supply our couples with a lasting memory of their day; this is why albums are included in 3 of our 4 wedding packages. Allow us to beautifully capture and design your love story from beginning to end in a stunning Infinity Coffee Table photo book.
Featuring unique lay-flat pages, the Infinity Coffee Table photo book delivers heavyweight paper and high quality printing that insures minimal image loss across the centre. This means we can create stunning double-page features within your book. We can also completely personalise your book with an image wrap cover and your names and wedding date on the spine.
This is our standard wedding photo book and comes included with our A La Mode wedding package.